Sunday, February 19, 2023

"PARACHUTE" - A MUSICAL ANALYSIS

 There is often a song that hits right through the thinking of the moment you are in. Whether you are standing on a sandbar on the river or in an office setting with other people performing tasks that seem important at the time, certain songs make the day go by faster. In modern times there are plenty of music platforms playing music for people’s enjoyment, and Chris Stapleton’s song “Parachute” hits home with me. The song “Parachute” was written by Chris Stapleton and Jim Beavers and released on May 5, 2015, in America.

 


                                         Chris Stapleton - Parachute (2015) -America

 

Lyrics

From the album Traveller, the song “Parachute” is written with that feeling of somebody being there in life for you. The song leaves that person open. The words do not direct to one person. The first verse sets the tone for the following chorus and verses. The chorus paints a love stronghold, comforting thoughts, and heartfelt feelings. The bridge pulls you back into the image that all the worldly issues will be ok. “If you think you’re goin’ down just know I will be around”. Beautiful songwriting for the listener.

Key of F# Maj

The chords that are smoothly put together for this song “Parachute” are blended well. The chord progression repeats itself well. Stapleton uses F#m, A, Esus4, D, and E. The chord progression along with the chorus is extremely energetic and forthright. Chris Stapleton’s voice and ability to chord match the two have helped him achieve male vocalist of the year at the ACM awards three times so far.

Dynamics

Starting out the volume of “Parachute” right in the first verse is a very calm feeling like sitting by a lake looking at the shadow of the moonlight. The last words of the verses before the chorus intensifies the volume as it goes down through the lyrics, finally setting the climax with the expression, “say the word and I’ll be there for you, baby I will be your parachute”. The banjo, along with the acoustic rhythm guitar are so tight! The chord progression on the chorus with the electric lead guitar accent is louder than the rest of the instruments and sets a mood for stomping your feet! 

Tempo

Lively, loving, and rocking all day and night to this song's “Parachute” tempo is a good feeling. The original album has beats per minute at 113. The halftime beat can be played at 57 beats per minute. The double-time beat would be played at 226 beats per minute. The original track runs four minutes and thirteen seconds. The drums are simple, yet dynamite. A constant 4/4 beat is sending out the dancing vibes. I think the tempo brings the great image of a parachute coming from the sky with help, love, and hope!

Harmony                                                             

The instruments are in tune with one another creating this emotion and curiosity of who is going to support the melody of the song “Parachute”. During the solo guitar lead licks, The base guitar player is playing along with the lead guitar notes and this is great fashion. With the rhythm of the acoustic guitar, which I think gives the song a great tone, comes this overshadowing happiness that your love will be taking care of. I am truly inspired by Chris Stapleton’s guitar playing, music writing abilities, as well as his dedication to the music.

 



Sources:

Key, tempo of parachute by Chris Stapleton (no date) Musicstax. Available at: https://musicstax.com/track/parachute/5jROdl6MhcmP3O7h2sVgtw (Accessed: February 19, 2023).

Lashibes. “Chris Stapleton ‘Parachute.’” SongChops, 11 Apr. 2021, http://songchops.com/2017/03/chris-stapleton-parachute/#:~:text=by%20lashibes%20%7C%20Mar%2019%2C%202017%20%7C%20Featured%2C,itself%2C%20sparse%20imagery%20and%20a%20few%20missing%20rhymes%21.

“Parachute (Chris Stapleton Song).” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 26 Jan. 2023, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parachute_(Chris_Stapleton_song).

“Chris Stapleton – Parachute.” Genius, 2015, https://genius.com/Chris-stapleton-parachute-lyrics#:~:text=%E2%80%9CParachute%E2%80%9D%20is%20the%20fourth%20track%20from%20Stapleton%20%E2%80%99s,need%2C%20even%20if%20she%20ignores%20him%20until%20then.

 

 

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Good job analyzing this song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your analysis of this song. I am familiar with Stapleton's song "Tennessee Whiskey." I had never heard "Parachute." I like the metaphor Stapleton employs here, about being there for his beloved when she falls as her "parachute." It seems like a very dramatic gesture to me. His line, "falling feels like flying until you hit the ground," is very poetic also, and suggests a sort of reckless abandon. Have you ever listened to Colter Wall? He's a little different, but also fits the country genre. I really enjoy his album Imaginary Appalachia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joseph! I love how you demonstrated that the dynamics throughout the piece demonstrates the feel the artist is trying to portray. I also liked how you pointed out the fact the song is played in common time. That is such a familiar key signature that always makes the listener want to nod along!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joseph, thank you again for another great analysis. The biggest reason I am commenting on your blog again is because of the artist and the song. I saw Chris Stapleton live in concert in Atlanta, GA in March of 2019 as part of George Strait's "The Cowboy Rides Away" tour. Chris Stapleton was my favorite part of the show. The range of vocals this man has is absolutely incredible. And you can feel the emotions in his voice. I actually contemplated doing my analysis on "Tennessee Whiskey" simple for the range that he can cover. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Continued Exploration: How to make a music video

In this blog post, I will explore a high-level overview of how to build a music video and how music videos have made music much more visua...