Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Music and the Fictive Dream: On My Way


Biography

Phillip Collins was born on January 30, 1951, in London England. He is an English singer, songwriter, musician, record producer, and actor. He is had a successful music career in the UK and the United States. He has sold 8 studio albums with 33.5 million units in the United States and 150 million records worldwide making him one of the world’s most successful music artists. On My Way, was written by Phil Collins and released on October 21, 2003. This song was written for the 2003 Disney movie Brother Bear.

 

                                                 Colins before a concert in France 2007



What role does this specific work serve?

In the movie, Brother Bear Koda tells a story to Kenai, who is transformed into a bear, about his mother being separated. Kenai tells Koda to save the story for all the bears at the salmon run in the river. The two bears walk through the mountains as Phil Collins sings On My Way. The song lyrics follow the plot and production of the characters. The two bears meet with two moose who tell them about a hunter who wants to get Kenai. With the movie being about Alaska Native beliefs, this song On My Way is fitting for the transformation that happens in the movie from humans to animals.


                                                  Phil Collins “On My Way”. October 5, 2019


Opinion- I enjoy the movie Brother Bear and the song On My Way. The lyrics depict the movie's animation well with the animals traveling and the story being told. The beat the rhythm allows the listeners to become more interested and anticipate in the movie of what will happen next. The song and movie are closely interred woven, and Disney did a great job of covering and conveying Alaska Native beliefs.

 

 

  

Works Cited

"Brother Bear." Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 22 Mar. 2023, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brother_Bear. Accessed 11 Apr. 2023.

"Phil Collins." Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 10 Apr. 2023, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Collins. Accessed 11 Apr. 2023.

1 comment:

  1. Joseph, great work on this week's assignment! My kids and I really enjoy watching Disney movies. This one used to be a favorite and one that I will still put on just because. I noticed there's no section on social commentary. I too forgot to add that to my post as I was in a huge rush with personal things going on last week. I would be curious though as to what others have to say about this movie and even more specifically, this song. I agree that this song not only depicts the animals movements but I also noticed it pulling me in as I was watching the movie. I also have to agree that Disney did a great job conveying Alaska Native beliefs.

    ReplyDelete

Continued Exploration: How to make a music video

In this blog post, I will explore a high-level overview of how to build a music video and how music videos have made music much more visua...